Friday 7 October 2011

Hereford Tales

Ok not a far flung holiday, just the next county, although we did go via a different country...Wales. We had local knowledge as we had been there before, we had an AA autoroute printout, a road atlas and a detailed OS map, so how did we end up in a cul de sac on a housing estate in Monmouth? oh and a sat nav, not on.

Just in case you thought I was gilding the lilly. A local came out of his house to help us on our way.
We did arrive at Symonds Yat Rock in time for a picnic lunch. A real bonus was that the path to the viewing area was now accessible thanks to lottery funding.
Mum dad and me enjoying the view. Didn't see the famous but elusive peraguine falcon.
 We went to Symonds Yat east and mum and dad went on a river cruise up the Wye. I took advantage and had a good hours kip in my chair. We got to the accommodation, basic but clean and comfortable enough apart from the bed in my case. I have become soft being on an air mattress. We went to the pub next door and had a meal. Mum and Sue had a shared platter of sea food. It was probably more accurately described as sea food surprise. The surprise being the half dozen pieces of southern fried chicken. My mum is a veggie and thank goodness Sue discovered it first. We all enjoyed a good nights sleep ready to visit Hereford Cathedral in the morning. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the mappa mundi and all the interesting history of that and the chained library. We went to a great cafe for lunch. Clearly Dad  was quite happy with his turkey sandwich.

Mum and I picked up some bargains in the 50% off sale at Mark's and Spencer
On the last day we came home via Labels, which was a bit of a disappointment really, I should have gone to the Hop Pocket instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment